Monday, June 13, 2011

Clean Raspberry Muffins

Today was my first true day of "cooking clean."



I made these red pepper shrimp for dinner (sans the grits), the recipe can be found here, and some rockin' raspberry muffins for dessert/breakfast.  I attempted to make them clean by reading various things on the internet for hits as to how much honey/agave to substitute for sugar, and how much applesauce you can substitute for butter, etc.  It wasn't the easiest thing to figure out, but I managed somehow, and here's the final product.


Lookin' good, right?

So here's the recipe, including both the original, and my substituted version, so you can try either one and still have DELICIOUS muffins.  Enjoy!

Raspberry Muffins
Makes 12 Muffins

2 cups flour whole wheat pastry flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup sugar 2/3 cup agave
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 cups frozen raspberries
pinch salt
1 cup milk
1 stick butter 1/4 stick butter, melted + 1/2 cup applesauce

Preheat the oven to 400 350 degrees.  Grease 12 muffin cups.

In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar agave, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, stir together milk, butter + applesauce, egg, and vanilla until blended.  Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, add milk mixture to just combine.  Add frozen raspberries and stir into batter with a few quick strokes.

Spoon batter into muffin cups.  Bake 20-25 minutes (keep checking as a lower fat recipe will cook faster) until a cake tester inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean.

Remove muffins and cool for 5 minutes before removing from cups.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this was my first attempt at baking clean, and it went well, except for one thing.  When I was doing my research online, I read that you should substitute 1 cup of white flour for 7/8 a cup of whole wheat pastry flour.  When I did this, my batter was completely liquid, SO I just kept adding more whole wheat pastry flour by the spoonful until it thickened up.  I ended up adding 3-4 more spoonfuls, which I would equate to just over 2 full cups of whole wheat pastry flour.  So if you end up trying this, and it's just a bit too soupy, just add a bit more flour!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...